Buddhist Monasteries of Solukhumbu

Buddhist Monasteries of Solukhumbu

Buddhist Monasteries of Solukhumbu are some of the renowned Monasteries of Nepal. In Solukhumbu district northeast from Kathmandu, there are altogether 11 Gumbas and monasteries and is famous for its Buddhist Gumbas and its famous for Buddhist Monasteries and Gumbas. All these monasteries lie in Sagarmatha National Park which lies in the Khumbu region of Nepal and also it is listed in the UNESCO world heritage site.

  1. Thyangboche Monastery
  2. Chiyong Monastery
  3. Pangboche Monastery
  4. Junibesi Monastery
  5. Gumela Monastery
  6. Kyorab Monastery
  7. Thame Monastery
  8. Singefu Monastery
  9. Thaksindu Monastery
  10. Thaktoo Monastery
  11. Goli Monastery

Among them,  Thyangboche Monastery is a renowned Buddhist Monastery of Nepal. From here one can see Mount Everest and Ama Dablam, Mt. Lhotse and Mt. Nuptse. The pagoda-style monastery is located at an altitude of 3,900 meters above sea level and during “Mani Rimdu” fair which is visited by many pilgrims around the world.

Mani Rimdu is the most vital festival of the Sherpa people who lived around the Khumbu Valley. It falls in October – November where thousands of people from the valley come to play and watch the festival. Special sand brought from the Himalayas are used to create a mandala in the monastery. The program includes 16 dance numbers with interludes for comical effect during the festival.

In Junibesi Gumba there is a huge bronze image of Lord Buddha. Fairs named Duge Dumji” and “Niyume” are observed and thousands of Buddhists take part in this festival from a different part of the globe. Besides these Chaityas, Monasteries, and Gumbas there are many small Chaityas in Nepal.

Thyangboche is the stopover place for tourist who visits Everest Base Camp Trek so almost every tourist visits Thyangboche Monastery and watch the special ritual done every day in the Monastery. The current structure is stone masonry which was destroyed by the 1934 earthquake and built later. And again, it was destroyed by fire in 1989 and built with the help of volunteers.

You may also like...